Tax Credits

0843 557 3382

Reasons to call the Tax Credits Contact Number:

  • Finding out if you are eligible for Working Tax Credits
  • Finding out if you are eligible for Child Tax Credits
  • Asking questions or making enquiries about tax credits
  • Complaining about a problem with tax credits
  • Asking about how Tax Credits overlap with other benefits services

Tax Credits FAQs

What tax credits can students claim?
How do tax credits work?
Are tax credits taxable?
What kinds of tax credits are there?

Other Useful Tax Credits Numbers:

Tax Credits Phone Number
Head Office 0843 557 3382
Customer Service 0872 494 1000
Complaints 0872 494 1000

Tax Credits Contact Number Opening Hours

Department Opening Hours
Head Office Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm

Tax Credits Head Office Address

Department Address
Head Office Tax Credits

HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom


How much will I get?

The tables below have been put together to display the amounts of tax credits you can expect, both in working tax credits and child tax credits, with regard to your income. As your income determines the number of tax credits you are eligible for, you’ll need to reference these or use a tax credits calculator to work out what you’re likely to get while applying. Unfortunately, tax credits calculators are often complicated and confusing things, so you may find these tables to be more useful and intuitive guides for what to expect when applying for tax credits.

Working tax credits – for people without children

The following table is made to provide an estimate for how much you could receive in tax credits for the year 2016-2017 if you do not have children.

Estimated Working Tax Credit (people without children)
Annual income Single person Couple
£9,850 £1,370 £3,380
£10,000 £1,305 £3,320
£11,000 £895 £2,910
£12,000 £485 £2,500
£13,000 £75 £2,090
£14,000 £0 £1,680
£15,000 £0 £1,270
£16,000 £0 £860
£17,000 £0 £450
£18,000 £0 £40

Working tax credits and child tax credits – for people with children

If you are in work and are responsible for one or more children or young people, you may be entitled to both working tax credit and child tax credit. The table below is designed to provide an estimate for how much you could receive in tax credits for the year 2016-2017 if you do have children.

Estimated Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit (people with children)
Household Income One Child Two Children Three Children
£5,500 £7,300 £10,085 £12,865
£9,850 £6,705 £9,495 £12,270
£10,000 £6,645 £9,430 £12,210
£15,000 £4,595 £7,380 £10,160
£20,000 £2,545 £5,330 £8,110
£25,000 £495 £3,280 £6,060
£30,000 £0 £1,230 £4,010
£35,000 £0 £0 £1,960
£40,000 £0 £0 £0
£45,000 £0 £0 £0
£50,000 £0 £0 £0
£55,000 £0 £0 £0
£60,000 £0 £0 £0

What tax credits can students claim?

Unfortunately in this economically testing time for students, there is no special provision for student tax credits. Students, if they wish to claim tax credits, must meet the same criteria as the general population. In order to claim working tax credits, a student must meet the working hours requirements and the minimum age requirement (25 years old) or you will be unable to claim. The same is true with Child Tax Credits – unless you are working and are responsible for a child or a dependent young person, you cannot claim.

However, there is also no rule against claiming tax credits as a student, so long as the criteria to qualify are met. If you are planning to claim Working Tax Credit, you’ll need to do paid work on top of studying – any work that you do which isn’t paid, such as volunteering, or your studies, or other unpaid work, will not count towards working tax credits. To fully qualify, you need to be at least 25 years old and work for at least 30 hours a week on a low income, which could put a stumbling block in the paths of traditionally young and hectic students, who may not be old enough to qualify, or may not have the time to work for 30 hours on top of their studies.

However, if you have a disability which qualifies you for the disability element of working tax credits, you can claim them at the much earlier age of 16, and with the much lower work requirement of 16 hours per week. This is much more reasonable for students, and will likely be attainable for disabled students, allowing them access to Working Tax Credits much more readily.

If you are a student, are single and have a dependent child, you can claim Child Tax Credit from the age of 16, and can claim Working Tax Credit if you work at least 16 hours per week, noticeably reducing the requirements on hours worked. If you have a partner, then the work requirement is upped to 24 hours per week but is split between the two of you, so long as one of you is working at least 16 hours per week. The only exceptions to this rule are if your partner is incapacitated or otherwise incapable of work, in hospital or prison, or is a carer – in the event of these eventualities, you will be able to qualify for Working Tax Credit as though you were single, with only 16 hours work per week.

How do tax credits work?

Tax Credits are, simply put, money paid to a qualifying citizen from the UK government. The money will not be taxed, and it does not need to be paid back – it’s a payment, not a loan. The tax credits system has been instituted in place of many other benefits systems, so if you find that you are entitled to tax credits, we strongly advise you to apply for them.

In order to qualify for tax credits, as well as fulfilling all the requirements in terms of work and age, you must have the right to reside in the UK and be a resident there ordinarily. If you are subject to immigration control, you will not be eligible for tax credits, but if your partner is not subject to immigration control then you may still claim as a couple.

Are tax credits taxable?

No, tax credits are not taxable. However, if you are the recipient of tax credits on top of also receiving other benefits or working for another income, you may need to pay tax on those other types of income.

What kinds of tax credits are there?

There are two kinds of tax credit and only two kinds: Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit. However, you may be eligible for both of them, so long as you meet their criteria for qualification.

Child Tax Credit can be claimed if you are responsible for at least one child or young person, and if you work 16 hours per week, or, if you have a partner, if you work 24 hours per week between you.

Working Tax Credit is available to anyone over the age of 25 who is working more than 30 hours a week on a low income. If applicants have a child to care for, this tax credit form is also expanded to provide more money to help care for the child.