Access to Work Contact

0843 208 1033

Access to Work contact
Access to Work contact

Access to Work is a grant to help you work if you have a medical condition or disability.

Other Access to Work contact numbers

Department Contact Number
Customer Services 0843 208 1033
Head Office 0843 208 1033
Payments 0843 208 1033

Access to Work Contact Number Opening Hours

Days Opening Hours
Monday- Friday 8am-6pm
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed

Access to Work Head Office Address

Department Address
Head Office Operational Support Unit
Harrow Jobcentre Plus
Mail Handling Site A
WV98 1JE

Where can I find information on Access to Work?
Who owns Access to Work equipment

Reasons to call Access to Work contact:

  • To find out if you are eligible for the scheme.
  • To get information on how much you could get.
  • To report a late payment.
  • To make a complaint about the Access to Work service.

Access to Work Scheme

The Access to Work scheme is a grant which can pay to help you work if you are disabled or have a health condition, including mental health. The grant can help you begin working or stay in work or even start a business/become self-employed. You don’t need to pay the money back and it won’t affect the other benefits that you receive. The amount of money you get from the scheme depends on your individual circumstances.

It is important to note that the Access to Work grant cannot be used to fund the startup costs of a new business.

The grant can help you to pay for things like:

  • Special equipment or adapting the equipment that you already use.
  • A support worker to help you at work.
  • The cost of taxis etc. to work if you can’t use public transport.
  • Disability awareness training for the other people at your workplace.
  • A support service if you have a mental health condition.
  • Covering the cost of moving equipment if you change your job.
  • A communicator at a job interview.

Grants are reviewed once a year in April. Currently, the maximum grant that you can get is 1.5 times the average salary, which is £41,400. The funding agreements can last up to three years, so as long as you need the money you will continue to receive it. If you change jobs, you can ask that the grant is reviewed.

Access to Work Eligibility

Access to Work scheme
Access to Work scheme

To be eligible for Access to Work, your disability/health condition must impact your ability to work. You have to be over the age of 16 and living in England, Wales or Scotland. You have to be at least one of the following:

  • Due to attend a job interview
  • Already working/self-employed
  • Starting a job/work trial
  • Starting work experience

If your disability doesn’t affect your job but you have work-related costs such as special equipment or travelling to work, you might still be able to get the Access to Work grant. If your condition is mental health related, it must affect your ability to do your job and mean that you need help reducing time off, starting a new job or staying in work.

If you currently get Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance, Incapacity Benefit, National Insurance Credits or Severe Disablement Allowance, you may not be eligible for the Access to Work scheme.

If you change jobs, you should inform Access to Work as you might get a different amount of grant or transfer your equipment to the new job.

You can apply for the Access to Work grant online. The Department for Work and Pensions may visit you at work and will contact your employer to verify the application. If you are applying due to a mental health condition, someone will talk to you before they go on to speak to your employer. You can also apply for an Access to Work grant over the phone- you will need to have your National Insurance number, workplace address, information of a workplace contact and your unique tax reference number to hand.

If you aren’t happy with the outcome of your application or how it was handled by the team, you can call Access to Work using the number on this page to make a complaint.

Access to Work Dyslexia

If you struggle with dyslexia, you might be able to get support from Access to Work. Access to Work will usually send a Workplace Assessor to your workplace who will help to work out what you could get to help you at work, such as software or coaching. They will write a report with recommendations and it’s up to you to select which you think will be best. Access to Work can help dyslexic people meet their targets and deadlines, communicate with colleagues about what they need and progress in their career. It’s estimated that Access to Work helps over 3000 dyslexic people each year.

Access to Work Support Worker

Access to Work can help you pay for a support worker to help you at work. This could be an interpreter if you are hearing impaired, someone to drive you to customers if you struggle with mobility or someone to help you with personal care whilst at work. An assessment will be carried out to see what you need and for how many hours, but it will be the responsibility of the employer to find a suitable support worker and complete timesheets to claim the money back. HMRC will help make a decision on whether the support worker should be paid as an employee or as self-employed.

Popular questions about Access to Work

Where can I find information on Access to Work

You can find information on Access to Work directly from the Government website or by visiting your local Job Centre Plus where an advisor could assist you.

Who owns Access to Work equipment?

Access to Work equipment is owned by your employer, so it is their responsibility to maintain it.

About Access to Work

Access to Work is a publicly funded scheme which helps disabled people start or stay in work. If you are unhappy with the result of your Access to Work claim, you are entitled to one reconsideration.

For more about Access to Work, call the Access to Work contact number on this page.

Review Date
Reviewed Item
Access to Work Contact Number
Author Rating